Suggestions For The Exterior of Your Home
- Keep the lawn neat and tidy.
- Trim all bushes.
- Remove dead tree branches.
- Put flower planters near the front door, if in season.
- Paint or stain the front door and the mailbox.
- Reseed any bald spots in your grass.
- Repair any cracked or uneven driveways and walkways.
- Remove old plastic furniture from the front porch.
- Make sure your house number is easy to read.
- Clean your windows.
- Make sure that all your exterior lights work and that your home is well lit up at night.
- Make sure your backyard deck is also neat and tidy and that any gate is well oiled.
- Make sure the doorbell works.
Suggestions For The Interior of Your Home
- Start spring cleaning now.
- Get rid of all your junk and clutter.
- Wash all your windows.
- Paint walls fresh, using light colours, such as off-white or beige.
- Open curtains so lots of light gets in.
- Get your carpets professionally cleaned. If you're thinking of replacing carpets, go for beige.
- Remove leaves or extensions from tables to make the rooms look bigger.
- Remove unnecessary furniture; again, this will make the rooms look larger.
- Reduce the number of pillows, afghans, throws, and blankets on your couches.
- Reduce the number of paintings and other wall decorations.
- Try to limit the number of chairs around your tables. Four to six is ideal.
- Reduce the number of dishes in the china cabinets.
- Organize your children's toys in one area, if possible.
- Make sure all applications are in good working order.
- Replace and burned-out bulbs.
- Replace outdated drapes and blinds.
- Make minor repairs: Dripping faucets, cracks in walls or ceilings, loose doorknobs, and torn windows screens.
- Make sure that all windows and doors open and shut properly.
- Be aware of smells: stop smoking inside the house and temporarily relocate your pets, if possible.
- Put decorative towels in bathrooms.
- Thin out and organize your closets to make them look more spacious.
- Change the filters in your furnace.
- Get rid of all old bicycles, paint cans, and any other useless items from your garage.
- Play light music during showings and light a fire if it's cold outside.