A small milling community was established on the main branch of the Humber River where it crossed Rutherford Road near Highway 27 in the 1850s. James Thomson, a Scottish carpenter, built three mills: a saw, grist and carding (where wool was combed prior to spinning) mills. The Elder Brothers acquired the site in 1869, and their descendants operated the milling operation until 1919. Meanwhile, James Thomson moved to Vaughan Mills, less than one mile downstream, where he constructed a mill on a site previously developed by John Nicholas Kline Sr., a founder of Kleinburg. Today, the former Vaughan Mills site is near were Vaughan Mills Road and Thomson Creek Boulevard is located.
For Listings in Elder Mills, Vaughan Click Here
||Elder's Mills P.S