This site uses cookies.

The types of cookies we use, and the way we use them, are explained in our Privacy Policy. By clicking "Accept" or continuing to use our site, you agree to our use of Cookies. More information

Kim Gingell
Sales Representative

Client Log-In
print version

Community Information:

Jessie Dunlap presented the land to the University of Toronto in memory of her husband, David Alexander Dunlap, a local astronomy. The observatory and administrative building opened in 1935.

The Elms Lea farmhouse already existed on the land since 1850.

The main telescope was at the time the second largest one in the world. This observatory became one of the fields leading astronomy centres. One of its most notable uses was for the first discovery in 1972 of a black hole.

Rapid urban growth and the availability of modern, more remote telescopes around the world lead to the sale of the observatory site by the University of Toronto.

Observatory Hill is situated in the heart of Richmond Hill, Ontario, on Bayview Avenue, north of 16th Avenue. The main entrance is on Hillsview Drive.  The observatory site is 177 acres, with an additional 12 acres of land that house the David Dunlap Observatory Park and Elvis Stojko Arena.  These facilities are currently being leased by the Town of Richmond Hill.

True to its name, Observatory Hill sits at a fairly high elevation, affording visitors a clear view of the city of Toronto to the south.

For Listings in Observatory, Richmond Hill   Click Here



Type Name Website Ranking
Elementary Sixteenth Avenue P.S. Site Rank
Elementary Ross Doan P.S. Site Unranked
Secondary Alexander Mackenzie H.S. Site Rank
Secondary Bayview S.S. Site Rank
Secondary Langstaff S.S. Site Rank
View more services  
adminlistingsprivacy policycontactsite map