East of Richmond Hill, on present-day Leslie Street just south of Major Mackenzie Drive, the settlement of Headford, or Headford Mills, owed its mid-century prosperity to mill sites rather than Yonge Street travellers. Along a headwater tributary of the Rouge River, were a variety of mills and tradesmen's shops and a general store. A Methodist Episcopal Church was dedicated in 1850 and a post office established in 1856.
Headford even witnessed an outbreak of oil fever in the 1860s. Drilling began on John Burr's land, gas kept bubbling up, but no commercially viable oil was ever extracted. By the early twentieth century, as small mills proved uneconomical, Headford declined and eventually died as a recognizable community.
Even less recognizable today is Headford's neighbour settlement of Dollar, two sideroads south at Leslie Street and Highway 7. There in the second half of the nineteenth century, Dollar boasted a store, post office, blacksmith shop and church; today Dollar is lost amid the business establishments and industrial parks of late-twentieth-century southern Ontario.
Located to the north of the Beaver Creek Business Park, the 433 acre (175 hectare) Headford Business Park has many opportunities for greenfield investment. This park is growing rapidly, yet still has many parcels of land available. Headford Business Park is home to the Canadian head offices of Ash City, Mazda Canada, Rubicon, Staples Business Depot, TetraPak.
For Listings in Headford Business Park, Richmond Hill Click Here