This site uses cookies.

The types of cookies we use, and the way we use them, are explained in our Privacy Policy. By clicking "Accept" or continuing to use our site, you agree to our use of Cookies. More information

Kim Gingell
Sales Representative



direct:647-403-5161
Personal Information
Buying Home
Selling Home
Financial Information
Richmond Hill Real Estate
Aurora Real Estate
Newmarket Real Estate
Markham Real Estate
Vaughan Real Estate
Information Center
Important Resources
Testimonials
Client Reports
Royal LePage TV- Helping you Buy and Sell A Home
print version

Community Information:

Lots 44, 45 and part of Lot 43, which were, originally, part of Markham, now, make up the neighbourhood of Harding, Richmond Hill. These lots make up the lands lying between Weldrick Road East in the south, Major Mackenzie Drive East to the north, Yonge Street to the west and Bayview Avenue to the east.

The Richard Vanderburgh  home, built about 1833, and, now, the home of the Richmond Hill Chamber of Commerce, sits at the southeast corner of Church Street South and Weldrick Road East, but, but was moved from its original site to the west. That location was, probably, in the Yonge Street portion of Lot 43 which lies north of Weldrick Road East.

Lot 44 was home to several early settlers whose names are still remembered by the various local streets named after them. Sons of John and Mary Arnold held part of the property after 1805. In 1833 William Stockdale bought the south half. In 1839 Alexander Lawrence bought the south half from Stockdale, and, then, bought the north half from the Arnold brothers. Finally, William Harding bought the entire farm from Lawrence in 1875. Now, Harding's name lives on with Harding Boulevard as well as the neighbourhood that bears his name.

Abner Miles was the original owner of Lot 45 on the south side of Major Mackenzie Drive East. It appears that Miles was a visionary by owning properties at the now important intersections of Yonge Street and Major Mackenzie Drive and farther south at Yonge Street and Highway 7. But, he died in 1806, and the property ended up with John Langstaff. Langstaff's son, Lewis, bought the land in 1845, and sold it to John Palmer in 1853. Palmer's home still sits at the southeast corner of Yonge Street and Major Mackenzie Drive where it is used for business and professional uses.

Written by:  R.M., Early Days in Richmond Hill, A History of the Community to 1930, Richmond Hill Public Library Board, 1991.

 

For Listings in Harding, Richmond Hill Click Here

 

Education:

Type Name Website Ranking
Elementary Beverly Acres P.S. Site Unranked
Elmentary Michaelle Jean P.S. Site Unranked
Elementary Walter Scott P.S. Site Rank
Elementary St. Joseph C.E.S. Site Rank
Secondary Alexander Mackenzie H.S.  
Site Rank
Secondary Bayview S.S. Site Rank
Secondary Langstaff S.S. Site Rank
View more services  
adminlistingsprivacy policycontactsite map